Monday, April 9, 2012

Deadly Premonition Demake

This is probably my most involved demake yet. For those unfamiliar, this is a scene from the cult game Deadly Premonition, a bizarre adventure game by Access Games and director SWERY. The actual game itself plays pretty much like a combination of Sega's Shenmue and Capcom's Resident Evil 4, and is notable for its strange characters, quirky script and gameplay, and surprisingly intriguing story. I recently finished it in its entirety, and immediately set forth to do a series of screenshots.

This one was a bit tricky, because I was working against instinct in alot of ways. Visually, I wanted to give the appearance of an old adventure game, like the Super Famicom version of Clock Tower, or some of the Sierra/ Lucasarts PC games. It's not something I do alot, and everything from the background, which was much more involved than usual, to the characters, who were more realistic than usual, presented a unique challenge. I spent forever tweaking the portrait shot of York trying to get a better likeness, though I still am less than fond of the result.

The rest of the image, though, I quite like. The actual character sprites turned out quite likable, and the background came together pretty well.

Maybe more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment