Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Super Halo Advance 3: Combat Devolved


I was never a big Halo fan. The sortof "us vs. them" story of the first didn't really excite me, but by the time the third game rolled around and the Chief was working together with the Arbiter, I started to warm up to the dynamic, plus enjoyed the fact that it made the second player an actual participant in the story, and not just Copy MC. I haven't really enjoyed any of the games since then, either, so I really wish they'd explore the Covenant/Human dynamic again.

This started as an old school FPS, like Doom, but I didn't much like the way it was shaping up. It didn't quite match my actual feelings about Halo, and due to my unfamiliarity with the franchise, I wasn't really able to replicate the details of the weapons and armor convincingly. Discouraged, I thought about my actual experience with Halo, and realized that it had more in common with games like Smash TV, Commando, and Contra (games I had always loved playing in co-op) than Doom, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Natural environments are pain, and I'm not great at doing tiles. I think the individual elements of the background turned out good, but I'm not thrilled with the way it all came together. I think I'm just not a big enough Halo fan to really pull this kind of thing off. Still, it was fun, and I really like the sprites of the Master Chief and the Arbiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment